Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Math - When you need help or pre-teach

So often, when my niece and nephew come home with math homework they will ask for help when they are stuck. Do they have their textbook with them so you can look back and see examples? Of course not. It is then off to the internet to find example to help them figure out the problem. OK I admit it; the math today is often beyond my ability to remember.

One of the websites that I love to visit is Math Live.It was designed by a group of staff from Alberta Education and Edmonton Catholic Schools with support from consultants and contractors.

All the lessons are designed like TV cartoons. It uses common everyday life examples that make math make sense. So often, you hear students ask, “When are we going to use this in real life?” Now they can see real life applications. The reason that I like this website is that you can move at your own pace, you can repeat the lesson as many times as your student needs. They also have teacher notes, parent notes and assessments. The assessment sheets are activities that expand on what was taught in the episode. This is a great website for pre-teaching a concept.

I have caught my niece and nephew going to this site for “fun”. When I see that I know I found a site that is worth sharing with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers